Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Something unexpected but beautiful nonetheless

I want to get my haircut really badly. It's getting too long and I can't stand it! So, we tried calling a salon that someone recommended but the phone number didn't work. So! we decided to just walk there and make an appointment for later in the week! Of course, we took some pictures along the way ;)

This is a shot of the subway stairs. Usually, they have printed words that you start reading at the bottom of the stairs and continue reading on your way up. They tell a story. These stairs had no such printing, so some locals decided to add their own story to the stairs!

On our walk, we came across this beautifully paved walkway! Upon stepping foot on this sidewalk I felt that something was different but I couldn't make out what it was. After a few seconds of admiring the general area's zen like state, I came upon the realization that the sidewalk was paved! It's MUCH easier to walk on this than the cobblestones we've become accustomed to! I decided to take a picture

Shortly after enjoying the sidewalk's smoothness, we came across this beauty! This fountain is so serene. There really are no words I can say to convey the feelings of goodness I received from simply beholding this art! I wish this picture was better quality for you guys! The water made beautiful music.


Next, we saw these cool lights. The effect they have reminds me of those old oil lamp sculpture things. They usually have a lady in the center and  vertical fishing line creates a "cage" around her. Oil travels down the lines. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Google "dripping oil venus lamp" and you should get pics of what I'm talking about. Anyway, these light fixtures had movement like that. You can see brighter spots of light within the ropes of lights. Those brighter spots resemble water droplets.


Eventually we found the address of the salon, only to find that the salon no longer exists or moved. The salons around had just closed for the evening.(It was around 8 pm.) So, with our mission not quite complete but with nothing to do, we decided to head back home. 

We came across a small church that seemed to be calling to us. We ended up going inside, following a crowd of people. After everyone settled into their seats or standing spots, a prayer was said and then singing commenced. It was incredibly private feeling and I didn't want to disturb anyone's peace from the light from my camera as I took pictures. I managed to snap just these few shots. No worries, I don't have a flash! 

I had no view as it was standing room only(and I'm a shorty!). The experience was magical though! I just closed my eyes and listened to the French words rising up and all around, filling the room. It was the most beautiful singing I'd ever heard. I got goosebumps! I even felt compelled to sing and though I didn't know the words, I could make up my own!  Afterwards, when everyone left(about 20 minutes later), while discussing the experience, J brought up that he thought the singing was the best he'd ever heard. I was surprised but mentioned that I'd had the same thought! 




We still have no idea what we walked into. Choir practice? This visit into the church was quite wonderful to experience and it wouldn't have happened if the salon was there or the rest around the area were open! Quite unexpected but awesome! I'm very grateful! I'll have to do some more research and see if I can find a salon at a later date! I hope to update you guys soon! 'Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment